It’s simple: if you own a hot tub, you need a hot tub cover. Tubs usually come with a cover, but if for some reason you don’t already have one or you need a new one, here’s some info on how to choose the best one for your needs.
What are hot tub covers used for?
There are two main uses: for protection and to prevent heat loss.
If you own an outdoor hot tub and you don’t have an option to deflate it and store it, a protective cover that will guard against the elements and dirt is a must. Another use for a cover (especially if you own an inflatable hot tub) is to prevent water from cooling.
What are the characteristics of an ideal hot tub cover?
In addition to its main protective feature, an ideal hot tub cover should be:
- Easy to install: hassle-free, the only tool you need is a screwdriver and you’re good to go
- Durable: it should last for several years before replacement
- Superb in construction: materials used must be able to endure harsh weather conditions (freezing temperatures, snow, wind, heavy rainfall). The dimensions of the hot tub cover must match the dimensions of your hot tub perfectly
- Safe: your hot tub cover should also maximize the safety of your hot tub when it’s out of use. Look for models that offer safety locks
The material used in making hot tub covers will dictate both its price and its usage (what climate and weather conditions it can sustain successfully). Some of the most commonly used ones include
- Polyester (woven polyester fabric)
- Vinyl (usually used as an additional layer under polyester to make it more waterproof)
- High-density foam: for preventing small particles from falling into the water
Some models of hot tub covers come in different color options. Some manufactures go even a step further and offer to make a completely custom cover using measurements you provide. Every cover is designed with function and durability as a top-of-the-list priority.
Top 4 Hot Tub Covers in 2019
AmazonBasics Outdoor Square Hot Tub Cover
Price: from $24
This inexpensive cover comes in sizes medium and large. It protects against all elements and is easy to clean.
Classic Accessories Veranda Square Hot Tub Cover
Price: from $49
This cover is durable, made of high-density material and with adjustable fitting options. It comes with a three year warranty.
Budge P9A17BTNW3 NeverWet Hillside Patio Hot Tub Cover
Price: from $144
This polyester cover is additionally insulated to provide protection against the rain. Specially designed air vents allow air to flow freely and prevent damage to your hot tub that can be caused by corrosion.
MySpaCover Hot Tub Cover and Spa Cover Replacement
Price: from $464
This set of two hot tub covers can be made to measure in a choice of colors. They are made to last, using double stitching techniques, the best materials and come with a five year warranty.